Requirements for Birth and Marriage Certificates During Your Consular Visit

Birth Certificate Requirements

When you apply for your U.S. visa, you will need to present the original birth certificates for yourself and each family member who is applying for their visas. These birth certificates should be issued in the country of birth by the official custodian of birth records. The certificates must show the date of the person’s birth, the place where the person was born, the names of both parents, and official annotation proving that the certificate is a copy of an official record. USAFIS is an immigration service that has helped thousands of foreign nationals move to the United States to live, work, and study.

Marriage Certificate Requirements

Looking for green card application after marriage? when married people apply for their U.S. visa, they need to bring the original marriage certificate or a certified copy that bears the seal or stamp of the official who issued the certificate.


Marriage Termination Documentation Requirements

When a U.S. visa applicant indicates that he or she has been previously married, evidence of such must be presented. These could include any one of the following: death certificate, final divorce decree, or annulment documents. USAFIS recommends that you take all documents with you to your interview at the Consulate so there will not be a delay in your visa application process.

Custody Records Requirements

Applicants for the U.S. Visa who have adopted children need to bring the legal custody decree if custody occurred before the adoption, a certified copy of the adoption decree, and a statement showing the dates and places where the child lived with his or her parents. In addition, if a child was adopted at the age of 16 or 17, evidence must be shown to prove that the child was adopted with or after the adoption of a natural sibling under the age of 16 years.

According to USAFIS, “Take all documents related to marriages, divorces, births, deaths, and custody orders when you go for your visit at the U.S. Consulate. This will allow the process to go quickly.”